Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving and other ways of life.


I don’t know if it is because of age or what, but holidays just never seem as special anymore. When I was younger Thanksgiving and Christmas just felt like actual magical days. Getting around with family eating a lot of food, telling stories back and forth. But the last few years Thanksgiving has just felt like another day.

This year I awoke in my apartment and hour before my alarm went off. I dealt with this fact on a positive note that I would be surprising my family with my presence an hour earlier than I had planed. I took a shower and finished packing up.

I couldn’t find the normal SpongeBob Squarpants blanket that I usually use to cover the Guinea Pigs cage. So I improvised using some leftover fleece that I had purchased for Chewie to snuggle under. It didn’t protect them from the cold as much as I had hoped but they seemed to survive the trip to Lebanon. I kicked myself for leaving their food behind.

Like most trips to my parent’s house I spent most of the morning playing Rock Band with whoever was willing to play. Rock Band always tends to provide a way to help pass the time while I wait for the rest of my family to get ready for whatever destination we have.

The destination of this day was my grandparent’s house (my mom’s parents). I was surprised to find out that my mom’s whole family would not be coming this year. I was looking forwards to see everybody especially my little cousins Jack and Luke. But the day was not horrible, far from it. I actually enjoyed having a smaller and quieter Thanksgiving. I got to avoid answering all the typical awkward questions I usually have to repeat the answers to, such as “How is it living by yourself?”, “How is Ivy Tech?”, “Have you met any girls?”, and the best “ Is there anything you need?”. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s great that I have a family that cares about me. Something I probably take for granted. It great that they also offer me help if I need it. I just don’t like to take help, I like to know that I have succeeded on my own and have gotten where I have (not far) on my own.

I got to spend the rest of the day in front of the T.V. The best was hearing my grandfather get excited about “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” being on T.V. today. Hearing him laugh at that movie made my day. I have always felt fortunate that both my Grandfathers have great senses of humor, and very different styles as well. After watching an episode of “Seinfeild” my family decided to head back to Lebanon.

Much of my evening was still spent in front of the television (Like much of my life). I watched “The Tonight Show” with my mom and dad. Then decided to call it a night. This brings me to my point. Today felt like just another day.

I always like seeing my family, and it was even better I got to see my grandparents. But I just didn’t feel the magic of the holiday that I use to feel when I was younger. I feel this fact comes down to two reasons. I have gotten older and these holidays just start to feel like they come and go, and I am craving more adventure and excitement in my life (even though a Jedi is not to crave these things).

Lately I have not felt content with my life. I have lived on my own for a few months now and all I have really done is spend my evenings sitting on my futon and watched old DVDs. Within the last few weeks I have wanted to get out and do more. I want to meet new people do new things, go to new places. I feel like the break up I went through has placed the world at my feet and I am not taking advantage of it. The few adventures I have had since my break up have been a blast too. I want the world to see a new version of me. A less shy, more adventures me. I think I deserve that, and I think the world deserves that.

2 comments:

Jaime Lee said...

Honey. LaShandra thinks you need to get a life. And when you do, get a girlfriend. Honey, you is all kindsa messed up. And thats coming from the heart.

Love and Kisses!Hope it helps!

~LaShandra

batfan9920000 said...

Thanks LaShandra!